The first traffic lights in Russia started functioning on January 15, 1930 in Leningrad, on the corner of Nevski and Liteyny Prospects (a "prospect" is just a borrowed Russian word for an avenue). It was followed by two installations in Moscow, one on December 30 1930, on the corner of Petrovka Street and Kuznetski Most ("Blacksmiths Bridge"), the other in 1932 on the corner of Kuznetski Most and Neglinnaya Street (named after the Neglinka River, literally, "swampy").
Guess what the first Russian traffic lights looked like?
Now isn't it just cute?
It worked just like a clock, with the hand moving around the dial which had the added plus of being able to see how much time you had left to cross the street.
Prior to that, in 1926 in Moscow, six hand-operated semaphores had been installed. Normally, traffic policemen regulated all the busy crossroads.
Already in 1934 in Moscow, traffic lights look more familiar:
By 1935, there were over a hundred traffic lights in Moscow alone. Still, until the early 1960s, the figure of a traffic policeman ordering cars around with his baton was very common at most Russian crossroads... when they had something to order around, of course, because until the end of the Soviet era, most Russian roads were the opposite of busy.