The Best Russian Books in English

Forget War and Peace: this blog offers reviews of fun and interesting Russian books in English, links to their Amazon pages, interviews with new and upcoming Russian authors, with the emphasis on Russian genre fiction: LitRPG, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, romance, mystery and other popular reads.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Research, grrrrr!

A friend said to me today, "Well, knowing how meticulous you are with your research I have little doubt all the information in The 33 Worst Mistakes Writers Make About Russia is very accurate."

Girl you can say that again. Meticulous? When working on the book, I lost count of times when I'd write a chapter off the top of my head because I knew all this stuff, didn't I? It was part of me, I'd grown up with it, I'd read countless books about it, and it was all such trivia anyway, so what was there to get wrong?

Then I'd decide to do a bit of research, just in case, only to discover that oh my, I'd gotten quite a few details totally wrong. Was it nostalgia replacing memory? Luckily, being a freelance journalist, I'm so used to fact sheets and source lists that it's become my second nature to research even the most obvious things. So I went over the book with a fine-tooth comb, double- and triple-checking every fact, date and source, so now I can finally breathe a sigh of relief and say,

Yes, luckily, I am meticulous. So The 33Worst Mistakes Writers Make About Russia is an accurate book. Зуб даю! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment